Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Perimenopausal in the Middle East

Well, thats how my little sis would describe my decision to take off for 3months to Palestine. My impending departure has been met with uncharacteristic nonchalance by mother- interpreted by middle sis as mother's failing to know where Palestine is, just that its hot there, ( If she only knew) and middle sis' faith that I will be perfectly at home there ( best not to analyse that one too much) and youngest sis who thinks I'm mad and perimenopausal and has pleaded with me not to do it.

Nevertheless, from this weekend, I will be in the West Bank, hoping to contribute something to ameliorating the struggle of women in the conflict thereand to support their efforts at developing their social and political status generally. With the help of my good friend Maman Poulet, I will also be attempting to blog throughout my stay when both external and personal conditions allow.

As we speak, Maman is trying to sort me out on skype and trying to figure out how to unlock my new, do- everything- but- make- the- dinner- mobile phone. I may even learn how to download pics by the end of this afternoon. And then all I have to do after that is not make a tit of myself in Palestine!

No comments: